Information for Parent on the H1N1 Virus
1. Action Steps for Parents if School is Dismissed or Children are Sick and Must Stay Home
Medidas para los padres si las escuelas cierran o los niños se enferman y deben permanecer en casa
2. Action Steps for Parents to Protect Your Child and Family from the Flu this School Year
Medidas para que los padres protejan a sus hijos y a su familia de la gripe durante este año escolar
3. Action Steps for Parents of Children at High Risk for Flu Complications
Medidas para los padres de niños con un alto riesgo de sufrir complicaciones por la gripe
School Health Advisory Council
Texas State Law requires that the board of trustees of each school district establish a local School Health Advisory Council (SHAC). The purpose of the committee is to ensure that community values are reflected in the health education curriculum and other school health issues. Senate Bill 1357 expanded the duties of the council to include recommending strategies for integrating school health services, counseling and guidance services, a safe school environment, and school employee wellness into the school’s health curriculum.
The SHAC duties include recommending:
- the number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education
- curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes through coordination of health education; physical education and physical activity; nutrition services; parental involvement; and instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction; and
- Strategies for integrating the curriculum components in a coordinated school health program
The Dumas Independent School District’s School Health Advisory Council is comprised of parents of students enrolled in the district, and district employees. The council meets a minimum of four times each year. To obtain more information about the council, contact the council chairperson, James Bussard at 935-6461.
The SHAC met four times during the 2012-2013 school year.
Food Allergy Management
Dumas ISD cares about the health, well-being and safety of all students. The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Protocol was developed to assist families and students with severe food allergies. If your child has a food allergy, please contact your school nurse to establish a Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Action Plan.
FFAF(Local) - Food Allergy Management Plan
School Guidelines for Managing Students with Food Allergies
Managing Food Allergies in the School Setting: Guidance for Parents
Guidelines for the Care of Students with Food Allergies At-Risk for Anaphylaxis
Letter Requesting Additional Documentation for Student Identified as Having a Severe Food Allergy
Statement Regarding Meal Substitutions or Modifications
Food Allergy Action Plan and Emergency Action Plan