FAQs about QUEST
1. What happens when federal financial aid and scholarships pay the entire cost of college tuition, fees and books for QUEST students? Answer: QUEST students whose entire eligible costs are covered by other aid continue as QUEST students and receive all other support activities, special registrations and encouragement. All QUEST college students continue to receive services through the Amarillo College Moore County Campus Counselor’s office. Services of the Counselor’s office include: Special counseling services at Amarillo College, assistance with completion of college forms, assistance with tutors, and ongoing support through the QUEST College Liaison at the Amarillo College Moore County Campus. QUEST remains as a safety net each semester of college in case the financial situation of the student changes and the student no longer receives federal or scholarship funds.
2. What does the QUEST Scholarship do for me? Answer: The QUEST program is a scholarship program guaranteeing access to college education for every qualifying Dumas High School student.
3. What kinds of activities does QUEST sponsor? Answer: Ongoing support during high school to encourage attendance and grades, field trips to colleges, TASP testing workshops and testing fees paid for students who attend, financial aid workshops to assist in applying for federal student aid, assistance in completion of college enrollement applications, special “QUEST only” registrations at Amarillo College Moore County Campus
4. What is meant by….last money in? Answer: The QUEST Scholarship Program wants to ensure that all QUEST eligible Dumas students, now and in the future, are able to attend college. For this reason, QUEST scholarship funds are last money in. Any federal government grants or scholarships received by the QUEST student are first applied to tuition, fees and books. Any of these costs not covered by other forms of financial aid are then applied to QUEST for as long as the student keeps their QUEST eligibility. Staff is available to assist students in completing this paperwork each year.
QUEST - Quality Education for Students
Guarantees access to higher education for students of Dumas High School
Provides numerous college bound activities throughout high school and college for participating students, which include:
1. Significant information early and often regarding QUEST;
2. Early intervention during high school regarding attendance and grades;
3. Significant information and direct assistance during high school regarding all aspects of higher education, including field trips to college campuses, college testing preparation, financial aid workshops, one-to-one assistance with college paperwork, special college orientation and registration, and ongoing support and encouragement.
Guarantees payment for tuition, fees, and books at Amarillo College through federal and private dollars. All federal and private aid is applied prior to awarding QUEST scholarship funds.
Requires high school students and their parents to pledge annually to maintain an 80 GPA, a 95% attendance average and appropriate behavior while in high school.
Requires college students to maintain each semester a 2.0 GPA in nine or more hours.